Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitodens 100 leak near air vent

JohnnyCB
JohnnyCB Member Posts: 25
Greetings all,

I haven't posted in a while - last time concerned a leaking air vent on my Vitodens 100.  Replaced the leaking, crappy-looking plastic one with a brass one and it's been great, up until now...

Now, it seems that right behind the air vent, where there's a compression fitting (brass nut, flared copper pipe) it's leaking.  I'd put a wrench on it and tighten it up a bit (very slow leak), but it seems there's no way to get at it without removing the boiler completely from the hanger.

Is there a trick to this, or something I'm missing?  Or does it really need to come off?

Thanks in advance,

-Johnny

Comments

• R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    I Hate

to say it but I've only had luck with channelock pliers once the boiler is hung on the wall otherwise you can forget about tightening that fitting. There isn't very much room available to get at that fitting. I have also had the same issue with the blue o ring on the air vent going bad. Good thing is tape and dope seems to remedy the problem.
  • JohnnyCB
    JohnnyCB Member Posts: 25
    Thanks

Thanks - I figured as much.

I did manage to get a pair of channel locks on it and tightened it a bit, and it helped, but now it leaks reallllllly slowly.  Like it takes an hour for one drop to accumulate.

Can you/should you put pipe dope of teflon tape on one of those fittings?  I could probably use the channel locks to take it right out and dope it up, if that'd help - but I seem to remember being told *not* to do that to this fitting type.

Or am I misinformed?

-Johnny
This discussion has been closed.