Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring Burnham Alliance Indirect to Burnham Alpine

Hey all, just prepping for my install and figuring out some of the wiring.

Recap (<a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/147306/New-setup-mockup">seen here also</a>) I am installing a wall-mount Burnham Alpine to a single zone (for now) and also installing a Burnham Alliance indirect to supply the home. The indirect is <strong>not</strong> wired as a zone, but it's own pump.

Most of it the wiring seems simple (I think) but when I get to the indirect to the boiler, I'm a little confused. I've attached a sketch of what I think my wiring setup will be, without connecting the indirect. I was under the assumption that I wire the boiler, which feeds the pump(s) power. The zone valve from my zone and the aquastat from the indirect let the boiler know when there is a call for heat. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's the case, I am confused as to why that Burnham's Alliance manual is showing a line feeding the indirect with power. Shouldn't the boiler itself instruct the pump to kick on when the aquastat calls for heat from the indirect?

Could someone instruct me how to wire this indirect. T.I.A.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Wiring

The indirect has a relay inside the controller.

I would wire it similar to the top drawing on page 14. The relay needs power so the 24 volt terminals should be wired to your transformer. Instead of wiring the pump at 110 volt to the other side, just connect the "pump" terminals on the indirect to the DHW switch on the boiler.

On the heating side, Is the 3 wire zone valve configuration in the manual? Some boilers do not like to be wired that way.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • cyrus_pinkney
    cyrus_pinkney Member Posts: 24
    like this?

ZMan

Thanks for the reply. Is my attached image what you mean?

The Burnham manual shows 3-wire zone valves, but does indicate (see attached) that sometimes there is cross phasing, but there is a solution for it.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Correct

Yes, the DHW to boiler wiring is correct.

I had the same concern with cross phasing. You should be OK as long as the transformer and the boiler are on the same 120 volt circuit. If you are not sure, you can check the voltage from one hot to the other hot. If the voltage reads twice the circuit voltage ,two phases are present and something will smoke.

Carl

You can probably guess how I figured that out the first time.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.