Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Natural gas wood stove and steam heat.

skidoo
skidoo Member Posts: 3
Hi everyone. I am in need of some advice. We purchased a Regency natural gas burning wood stove last winter. We own a 2 story home that is heated with a 1 pipe steam heat system. The boiler is a Burnham.

On our first floor we have a french door that separates the first level and the second level. We have to keep the door closed to keep our pets out and our baby in. Located on the first floor are three steam radiators and the stove.

The down stairs (first level) heats up pretty quick as you could guess with that new stove. The thermostat for the boiler is also located on the first floor. The stove has it's own Thermostat (fire genie). The problem we have obviously is that the stove heats the first level where the main thermostat is located and it shuts it off of course leaving the upstairs with no heat. I realize the answer to that issue is move the thermostat.

We are installing a wireless thermostat with comfort control that can be placed anywhere in the home. My question is, Can I just shutoff the steam radiators on the first floor by closing their air vents without causing any problems with the boiler (it's only 5 years old and is natural gas too) or do I have to bite the bullet and purchase TRV's for the 3 radiators on the first floor?

I would appreciate any help/suggestions,

Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    You can...

just shut off those radiators.  With most single pipe vents, the most reliable way to shut them off it to literally turn them upside down -- just rotate them half a turn.

You will probably find that the boiler then cycles on pressure more than you  would really like -- as it is now oversized by the amount of those three radiators -- but that won't hurt the boiler.

Make sure that that wireless thermostat is really compatible with steam heat -- that is, that it has the capability of being set to one cycle per hour or that the anticipator, if it is that sort, can be set properly.  Also be aware that steam heat is not really happy with setbacks of much more than a a few degrees -- say three.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • skidoo
    skidoo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I needed the reassurance. Now onto searching the site for the pesky no "c" wire issue for the wireless thermostat.
This discussion has been closed.