To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

What's the thingamabobbie?

John MillsJohn Mills Posts: 634Member ✭✭✭
Not a good picture but any ideas what the contraption is on the supply of this old installation? 


  • SteamheadSteamhead Posts: 10,103Member ✭✭✭✭

    air separator?
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    "Reducing our country's energy consumption, one system at a time"
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
    Baltimore, MD (USA) and consulting anywhere.
  • nicholas bonham-carternicholas bonham-carter Posts: 6,140Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hydronic UFO

    This could have been a relocated steam boiler complete with some sort of steam dryer, still atatched?

    It's nice to see the Teflon tape dangling from the joint, like toilet paper from the night club peoples shoes.--NBC
  • bill nyebill nye Posts: 307Member ✭✭
    looks more like

    Looks like romex wire taped to the gas pipe.  I am guessing vertical air separator or an everhot steam separator like NBC mentioned.
  • billbill Posts: 429Member

    I noticed the rust stain below the discharge pipe. I wonder where the expansion tank is. Or in other words, beats me:)
  • Steve WhitbeckSteve Whitbeck Posts: 669Member
    air sep

    If you are talking about the red cast iron thingy - It is an air separator. there should be a 3/4 inch pipe that runs up hill to a compression tank at the ceiling. 
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!