To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

gpm

Paul SPaul S Posts: 509Member
Hey everyone.... This question is regarding a snow melt system with a mixture of 30% glycol....from the manifold through the 5/8" pex loops (6 of them) the GPM for all 6 of them is 6.84 GPM(1.14GPM per loop)....The head loss for the MANIFOLD is 4.5 ft HD....my question is how do I figure the size of the pipe from boiler to manifold (snow melt load=81,225 btuh/h) do I use 1"?....and how do I find the head loss from boiler to manifold, and do I add it to the 4.5 ft hd from the loops?....need this to size pump...thanks Paul S
· ·

Comments

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,722Member ✭✭✭✭
    Supply return piping

Should be sized to carry the BTUs, and flow rate required for the load. Yes the supply/return piping is additive to the manifolds head loss.

You might squeak it out of 1" with a bigger circ, which brings higher head losses, or go to an 1 1/4, and get buy with a smaller circ.
    · ·
  • Paul SPaul S Posts: 509Member
    gordy

Thanks for response....so if I use 1" 1/4"pipe because using 1" would be at it's max with 82000 BTUs.....how would I find the head loss of the 1" 1/4"pipe it's about twenty feet both ways and about 6 elbows?...thanks Paul S
    · ·
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,722Member ✭✭✭✭
    Calculations

http://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/copper_tube_handbook.pdf

http://mobile.engineeringtoolbox.com/

To invaluable links.

In the copper .org hand book you will find head loss for various pipe sizes fittings , and types of copper pipe. Enjoy
    · ·
  • RichRich Posts: 1,160Member ✭✭✭
    Can you say

Snow melt using a Bumble Bee Circ . 42 watts to melt snow ? If you can keep the head pressure in the S&R section below 4 ft you can use the Bumble Bee for this system and keep the Delta T wherever you want it .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC 732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey , Eastern Pa .
    Consultation , Design & Installation
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!