Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roth Radiant Panel Ceiling installation considerations

Options
Robert_H
Robert_H Member Posts: 141
I’m installing Roth Radiant Panel in an attached office ceiling.   The original drywall has been removed from the ceiling and although it is very sturdy the framework  is inconsistently spaced (not always 16”) so the panel edges won’t always meet on a joist. I plan to screw up 1/4” underlayment or thinner if I can find it to provide something to screw into when I can’t hit a joist and provide a nice flat surface for the panels. This will also allow me to blow in cellulose before putting the panels up. Do you see anything wrong with this plan or have any comments?

Or should I not worry about always meeting on an edge?

Also, the installation manual doesn’t say whether to butt the edges or leave a gap. Ive seen installation pics of both.

Thanks

Robert

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Breaking on the joists

I dont know how far off you are, but I would try to break on the joists. especially with the dry wall.

I would leave an 1/8" gap on the panel perimeter for expansion.
  • Robert_H
    Options
    Thanks

Gordy!
  • Robert_H
    Options
    I contacted Roth Tech Support

received this from Steve Gibbs at Roth Tech Support:

The most structurally sound method would be to install furring strips perpendicular to the joists and fasten panels to the furring strips. This could be done on top of (or in this case, below) the underlayment. It is recommended to use four rows of fasteners long the length of the panel and three screws along the width in a ceiling application. . If this will not work, you will have to install 2 x 2 (minimum) cross braces to attach edge of panels where they do not align with joists.

The panels should be butted up against each other. They should be staggered for better structural stability. You should not have 4 corners meeting. Use excess panel from first row to start second row.

He also stated that he is developing a new Installation that include more information on ceiling installations.
This discussion has been closed.