Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spud nut riser leak

Hello all, trying to get my folks heat working,

I am new to this board so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section,

I do not know whether they have a steam or hot water radiator because there is a connection on each side, one with a bleeder (not on top), which I believe is usually hot water. But, in some cases, could be steam?

The non bleed valve side is in question of the leak. The leak was coming from the end of the nut closer to the riser. The nut cracked when I tried to loosen it up and so I decided to take the spud out (1/2" ID) to replace it. Luckily I got it out with no trouble but soaked threads with some Kroil I had handy in the garage just incase it decided to be a PITA.

My question is can I get a replacement spud and nut pair and should I use RectorSeal on the threads? Also I'm a little concerned that the riser threads got a little galled while loosening the nut as I can feel a sharp shaving.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Pictures please

When you opened these connections, did a lot of water come out, or just a little?

Usually at the top of the riser is a valve, and spud connected by a union, which are a matched pair-replacement of one necessecitates the replacement of the other. On the end of the radiator with no valve, there may be a trap, or other special elbow with a spud.

What problem were they having to begin with?--NBC
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    a radiator valve

consists of two halves. the main valve with the handle on it, and the union half with male threads that connect to the radiator. Radiator valves are not all the same. if part of it is NG... then the entire valve must be changed.
This discussion has been closed.