To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

House with old radiant floor heat

I recently received a request to change a boiler for a customer in and old house with radiant slab heating ( this was a referral by another contractor I've worked with in the past and it happens to be a friend of his) because he is having trouble finding someone to take on the job. I asked why he was having trouble and apparently every plumber told him it was illegal to change the boiler. Has anyone heard of such a thing or is it a case of them avoiding this job in fear of being responsible for old copper tubing in the slab leaking after replacing the boiler?

I do not know if the radiant tubing is copper or not....just a guess.
· ·

Comments

• Paul PolletsPaul Pollets Posts: 2,778Member ✭✭✭
    Older RFH

I've worked on dozens of these systems with RFH circa 1948-1960. Most have copper tubing, some use steel pipe. There is no law that prevents boiler replacement. The issue is that older systems can and will leak. It's a matter of time. A pressure test will identify if the system is holding water.

When we contract to do a boiler replacement on these systems we have a strict exclusion for failure of the original piping. That includes a frank discussion with the owner about the life expectancy of copper or steel pipe embedded in concrete.
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!