Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Edwards Valance Heating

I have never seen these first hand but I have a hard time believing these are very effective in the heating mode.  The claim is (heating Mode) The fin tube actually heats the ceiling and the IR energy emitted from the ceiling heats the floor or surfaces below thus heating the room.  Ceilings are suspended acoustic ceiling tile at 8' AFF.  Location is Watertown NY .  New construction.   I cant really see how they collect and drain condensate in the cooling mode.  If anyone can pass on there experience with these devices I would appreciate the feedback.    Kevin

<a href="http://www.edwardsvalance.com/products.html">http://www.edwardsvalance.com/products.html</a>

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    The first time...

I saw these were in my sons dorm room in Buffalo, NY. They do heat. Not sure of the condensing features unless they boost up a lot of element.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Unusual radiators

Are these hot water, or steam? --NBC
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Our daughter, Erin, went to Loyola College in Maryland

She lived in a high-rise dorm with these. They worked great in both heating- and cooling-mode and they were silent.

If you're ever in Providence, RI, walk across the pedestrian bridge that goes from the Westin hotel to Providence Place Mall. It's heated and cooled with an Edwards unit.

It's a wonder they didn't do better than they did.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Kevin Koenig_4
    Kevin Koenig_4 Member Posts: 36
    Edwards Valance

Thanks All.  It certainly knocks a lot of cost out of a job as apposed to using fan coil units. No fan to power or maintain. Very simple system.  Easy to install.  Easy to pipe.  I do see a condensate drain on the valance.  Thanks for the feedback.  Kevin.
  • John_S
    John_S Member Posts: 1
    Valance Heat/Cool

Installed this system in a residence hall at New School University in NYC with great success.  Also incorporated into a design at Stony Brook University new construction.  Dealing with condensate drainage can be an issue if not thought out carefuly, but the equipment itself is maintenance friendly and well worth initial investment to avoid the dreaded PTAC/PTHP.   Good luck, 
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    excellent system but

Complaints that heating mode could smudge ceiling. Condensate draining can be problematic with any system. Just ask any AC tech. Virtually every valance I've seen used hot water but I think steam is better because I don't like hot water up there.

The reason why it's not more common has to do with distributing chilled water to every room. Insulating pipes is expensive and must be done correctly.
This discussion has been closed.