To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

DHW mixing valve recommendations

marktmarkt Posts: 24Member
Have a 40 gal indirect DHW, frequently run out of hot water post-bath. Want a little more hot water. Lots of mixing valves out there, I've no experience with them. Recommendations?

Strong preference for longevity, reliability, etc. over low price.
· ·

Comments

• jonny88jonny88 Posts: 672Member ✭✭✭
    holby

I know Holby makes a great valve.A mixing valve should add roughly 15 gallons to your tank.How much hot water are you using and what size pipe do you have going to your tank currently.
    · ·
  • RichRich Posts: 1,160Member ✭✭✭
    Taco 5000

Series mixing valve . And store the water in tank 150 or slightly higher
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC 732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey , Eastern Pa .
    Consultation , Design & Installation
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    · ·
  • SWEISWEI Posts: 4,889Member ✭✭✭✭
    Symmons, Leonard, Caleffi

all good products.

Alan Forbes pointed us at this one -- clever design http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/146133/Honeywell-Mixing-Valve
    · ·
  • marktmarkt Posts: 24Member
    water use and pipe

I don't really know how much hot water I use, except that filling a bathtub pretty much uses it all. That's the only time there's any issue.

I have 3/4" pipe from meter to tank, but 1/2" from tank to bathroom. I don't have great pressure, but that's a different problem...
    · ·
    Honeywell

The Honeywell looks like a quick install for a conventional water heater with inlet and outlet on top, but my indirect has cold inlet at bottom (Lochinvar Squire)
    · ·
    Caleffi differences?

What's the difference between the ~$100 Caleffi and the $500 Caleffi?

http://www.pexsupply.com/Caleffi-Mixing-Valves-17390000
    · ·
    dhw

On the literature it says you require 1in boiler feed and return piping.What pump are you using between boiler and tank.
    · ·
  • hot rodhot rod Posts: 3,783Member ✭✭✭
    High Flow

rates for the two on the right. The two on the left are commonly used for residential and light commercial applications. The gauge feature is very handy for setting and adjusting output temperature. Inspectors love them also :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    · ·
    dhw

You're referring to the Lochnivar lit? I do have a 1" between boiler and tank, and circulated by a Grundfos UPS15-58FC, currently on medium setting.

Presumably you're getting at the issue of recovery time on the tank?
    · ·
    aquastat setting

has this problem always occured or is it something that developed over time,whats the setting on the aquastat
    · ·
    it's all brand new

Just installed a couple months ago. It's been this way since installed. Aquastat at 120.

I was assuming it's not a defect or malfunction, it's just that a bath uses up all the hot water. I haven't attempted to measure recovery, but it seems OK. It just seems like the tank size is a little small for our usage.

But maybe I shouldn't assume that... perhaps it's not all correct.

Perhaps I should measure the bath size and compare to tank...
    · ·
    dhw

as rich says raise temp to 140 -150 and install mix valve pity about your undersized 1/2 " piping good luck
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!