Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Replacement

Options
JStar
JStar Member Posts: 2,752
Took out an old UTICA. Can anyone verify the age? Installed a new SMITH/CARLIN combo. It's not in the pictures, but we corrected the old bullheaded steam main, and dropped the two mains individually into the header. On start-up, we were operating at 86+%. Off course, the old boiler was grossly oversized. We were fired at right around 90K.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have the same setup

That is a great installation, the homeowner should be very happy with that next winter.

I know you have a lot of experience with this combination. I assume that is the Smith G8-3 and you said it is firing at about 90k, can you tell me what size you drilled the orifice out to?

I had a Smith G8-3 / EZ Gas combo installed last October. It works well but it has a somewhat loud low frequency roaring sound and if you try and get the efficiency up (now at 82%) it gets a lot louder. The system was set up with a combustion analyzer and the incoming gas pressure is correct, the numbers are 23% excess air  -0.02 draft - stack 420. The installer and the distributor did not know what to do to quiet the system down.

My steam system is only a little over 200sr ft of EDR and the installer got the carlin burner from the distributor set up to match the G8-3 steam boiler. I clocked the gas meter and it's running at about 110k. The flue output comes out of the boiler and take an immediate 90 degree turn up about 36" to the 28 ft tall interior chimney that has a new 6" liner in it. There is a double swing damper in that run.

Do you have any suggestions I could give to the installer to help get it running a bit smoother, or do you know someone in the Boston area who could take a look at it for me?

thanks,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Carlin

We drilled the orifice at 13/64" for 90K input. WARNING. Our drilled hole is never very accurate. We will always clock the meter, and adjust the gas pressure as needed to dial in the exact input.

We notice that some of the Smith/Carlin combinations have a low frequency rumble. Mostly with larger models. I believe that Carlin makes an "S" tube for smaller boilers. You may want to reach out to Carlin for clarification on those details.

Do you have the rest of the combustion numbers?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Thanks

I'll contact Carlin next week, this burner was supplied by Carlin for the Smith G8 and has the welded flange on it

The rest of the numbers are - o2 4.2% - co2 9.4% - CO 17ppm. the picture shows the flue connection.

10:55 AM

I just spoke to Carlin and they said the numbers did not highlight any problems, the only suggestion they had was to try reducing the gas pressure down to 3.2" WC (3.5 right now) to see if that reduces the noise because the boiler was slightly overfired (110 vs the 105 rating).

I think I'll just order a new orifice tube and drill it out to 13/64" (0.203) because i don't need anything like 110k that I now have for my 200 sq ft of EDR. Then I'll get someone in to put the new orifice tube in and set up the burner with a combustion analyzer.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.