To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Indirect temps

JackJack Posts: 785Member ✭✭✭
What temps do you generally set your indirects? Do you add tempering valves on them?
·

Comments

• Indirect temperature

125F

If the capacity of the indirect is sufficient for household needs, then 125F is fine.  If not, we set the indirect higher (150F) and install a tempering valve.
    Often wrong, never in doubt.
    ·
  • BriHBriH Posts: 3Member
    Always do

I've been taught to always put a mixing valve even on water heaters. But I do open up all the way and leave aqua stat at 130 tops
    ·
  • Aaron_in_MaineAaron_in_Maine Posts: 168Member ✭✭
    Always

I set them at 140-150 and install a tempering valve on all my indirects.
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    0B
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
    ·
  • Alan (California Radiant) ForbesAlan (California Radiant) Forbes Posts: 929Member ✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Mixing Valve

If you decide to use a mixing valve, I like the new one by Honeywell.  It's very easy to install.

Edit:  Sorry, this is made for a standard, atmospheric water heater and may not be set up properly for an indirect.
    JPG
    JPG
    IMG_1616[1].JPG
    0B
    Often wrong, never in doubt.
    ·
  • hot rodhot rod Posts: 4,087Member ✭✭✭✭
    two thoughts

120- 125F takes care of the code requirement and lessens scald potential. But Legionella can be an issue with low storage temperatures.

140F or higher will handle the legionella concern, but a listed mixing valve must be installed to protect against scald potential.

It takes more energy to warm the water to 140F, then blend it with cold to useable temperatures around 115F.

Lower operating temperatures extend the tank life. Lower temperatures precipitate less minerals from the water.. Also less insulation and standby loss, at lower operating temperatures.

More and more European countries are requiring tanks, especially solar tanks, be elevated to 140F for a 1 hour period every 24 hours. A good compromise solution, I suppose.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!