To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Barrier X-5 underslab insulation

Simply RadSimply Rad Posts: 100Member
I have a contractor that has asked me to do some research on a underslab insulation called the Barrier X5.  We have always in the past used 2' Blueboard underslab. He recently spoke another contractor/friend who told him his experiences with the Barrier.  He likes the facts that it is not only a insulator but also a vapor barrier.

Is it truly an insulator of R 7.2  Blueboard is the proven product and I want to make sure we are doing the right.

What do you think?
· ·

Comments

• RichRich Posts: 1,269Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Barrier X5

is a very good product for beneath slab insulation . the R value is there and vapor barrier to boot . Easier to install than XPS boards , it won't break . All around the best value for my money anyway . Have used it for many years now and would not consider anything else .  Best way to explain Barrier X5 is this , think about an 1 1/4 thick Dunkin Donuts coffee cup , still warm 30 minutes later when it's 35 outside .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC 732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey , Eastern Pa .
    Consultation , Design & Installation
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    · ·
  • Simply RadSimply Rad Posts: 100Member
    Barrier X-5

Rich

Thanks for the input.  It does seem like a better product on paper, but as we know paper and real world are very different.  I think my biggest concern is when the wire mesh is layed down.  There is a lot of potential to rip the top layer of vapor barrier.  I know there is still the bottom layer, but to keep both intacted is a hard task.  I saw on the sales brochure that the product when installed with a concrete slab has an R-7.2.  Our new energy code is requiring an R-10.  So this project may require 2 layers of the product.  Maybe The Barrier Co will acknowledge the new energy code and start producing a R-10 product.  Thanks again

Jeffrey Campbell
    · ·
  • Simply RadSimply Rad Posts: 100Member
    Barrier X-5

Rich

Thanks for the input.  It does seem like a better product on paper, but as we know paper and real world are very different.  I think my biggest concern is when the wire mesh is layed down.  There is a lot of potential to rip the top layer of vapor barrier.  I know there is still the bottom layer, but to keep both intacted is a hard task.  I saw on the sales brochure that the product when installed with a concrete slab has an R-7.2.  Our new energy code is requiring an R-10.  So this project may require 2 layers of the product.  Maybe The Barrier Co will acknowledge the new energy code and start producing a R-10 product.  Thanks again

Jeffrey Campbell
    · ·
  • NH03865NH03865 Posts: 38Member
    R-rating

Check the R value for just the material.  The brochure from their website states that Barrier X-5 (material only) has an R value of 5.3.  The R value of 7.5 is using the X-5 material plus the R value of the concrete.  I happen to like this product and used in in the radiant slab in the basement of the house I built a couple of years ago.  Because the R value is insufficient for the Barrier X-5 alone I used 2 inches of blueboard on top to give me a total R value of 15.3.  This also protected the X-5 material when I was installing the reinforcing mesh and radiant tubing.
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!