To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

corrosion on hot water tank inlet

benben Posts: 27Member
We have two 50 gallon GE gas powered water heaters. The hot water output pipe has calcium deposits on it and is moist to the touch. The pipe insulation is also melted. The cold water supply is also moist. I don't think this looks right.

The tank is about 3 years old. I think the exhaust pipes were installed wrong as they are sloped down.
jpg
jpg
IMAG0135.jpg
0B
jpg
jpg
IMAG0134.jpg
0B
jpg
jpg
IMAG0136.jpg
0B
jpg
jpg
IMAG0137.jpg
0B
Burnham Independence IN8
· ·

Comments

• Larry WeingartenLarry Weingarten Posts: 981Member ✭✭✭
    Sadly...

... a lot looks wrong here.  With melted insulation, drafting is a problem.  It is either negative air pressure in the building, pulling heater fumes back, or a partly blocked flue.  In either case the poorly sloped vent makes it worse. ~~ I didn't like the look of the vent pipe to draft hood connection.  The vent should not be crimped and should go over the draft hood. ~~ I'd rather see lined steel nipples or brass used in the tank, then to flex connectors, rather than copper pipe directly to the heater. This would help prevent galvanic corrosion. ~~ The water might be condensation or it could be a leak.  You might want to uncover the pipes and mop up any water to see if you can find where it comes from.

Yours,  Larry
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!