Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

corrosion on hot water tank inlet

Options
ben_18
ben_18 Member Posts: 70
We have two 50 gallon GE gas powered water heaters. The hot water output pipe has calcium deposits on it and is moist to the touch. The pipe insulation is also melted. The cold water supply is also moist. I don't think this looks right.

The tank is about 3 years old. I think the exhaust pipes were installed wrong as they are sloped down.
Burnham Independence IN8

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    Sadly...

... a lot looks wrong here.  With melted insulation, drafting is a problem.  It is either negative air pressure in the building, pulling heater fumes back, or a partly blocked flue.  In either case the poorly sloped vent makes it worse. ~~ I didn't like the look of the vent pipe to draft hood connection.  The vent should not be crimped and should go over the draft hood. ~~ I'd rather see lined steel nipples or brass used in the tank, then to flex connectors, rather than copper pipe directly to the heater. This would help prevent galvanic corrosion. ~~ The water might be condensation or it could be a leak.  You might want to uncover the pipes and mop up any water to see if you can find where it comes from.

Yours,  Larry
This discussion has been closed.