Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pex or copper,cast or pvc

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
How do you guys/girls feel about all the changes in modern plumbing.I was trained using cast iron and copper.I have to admit I find it very hard changing to pex .Maybe its me but I really dont working with it but at the same time I understand this is how the industry has gone.Also i was in my supply house last week,there was a conversation about rewriting the code books.They want to change the word nipple,gas cock etc as it is sexist.Believe me I have nothing against female plumbers I actually work for a licensed female plumber and she really teaches me a lot.I cant imagine what the old timers must feel like having had to wipe all there joints and seeing what plumbing has become.

Comments

• zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    changes

I started my apprenticeship just as Poly-B was being phased out (I've done a handful of rough-ins with it that are still going strong, lol!) I've done lot's of copper rough-ins too and hope to never do one again; unbelievably time consuming and i've done a few tearouts to replace with PEX because the copper had become paper thin, I can't comprehend why anyone would prefer it over PEX. I always get a laugh watching Mike Holmes when he get's all excited when his plumber is installing some PEX like it's a brand new invention when i've been using it for almost 20 years!

I remember my instructor (who was on the plumbing code board) when I went for my second year schooling (around 1996 or so) saying the exact same thing about nipples & gas cocks! But nothing has changed as far as i'm aware. (this is in Canada BTW)
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Don't Forget!

Don't forget the infamous "Ball Cock" which is now referred to as a "toilet fill valve"

Rob
This discussion has been closed.