To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

pex or copper,cast or pvc

jonny88jonny88 Posts: 623Member ✭✭✭
How do you guys/girls feel about all the changes in modern plumbing.I was trained using cast iron and copper.I have to admit I find it very hard changing to pex .Maybe its me but I really dont working with it but at the same time I understand this is how the industry has gone.Also i was in my supply house last week,there was a conversation about rewriting the code books.They want to change the word nipple,gas cock etc as it is sexist.Believe me I have nothing against female plumbers I actually work for a licensed female plumber and she really teaches me a lot.I cant imagine what the old timers must feel like having had to wipe all there joints and seeing what plumbing has become.
· ·

Comments

• zacmobilezacmobile Posts: 211Member
    changes

I started my apprenticeship just as Poly-B was being phased out (I've done a handful of rough-ins with it that are still going strong, lol!) I've done lot's of copper rough-ins too and hope to never do one again; unbelievably time consuming and i've done a few tearouts to replace with PEX because the copper had become paper thin, I can't comprehend why anyone would prefer it over PEX. I always get a laugh watching Mike Holmes when he get's all excited when his plumber is installing some PEX like it's a brand new invention when i've been using it for almost 20 years!

I remember my instructor (who was on the plumbing code board) when I went for my second year schooling (around 1996 or so) saying the exact same thing about nipples & gas cocks! But nothing has changed as far as i'm aware. (this is in Canada BTW)
    · ·
  • RobGRobG Posts: 1,361Member ✭✭✭
    Don't Forget!

Don't forget the infamous "Ball Cock" which is now referred to as a "toilet fill valve"

Rob
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!