Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with finding an angle valve for Runtal radiators

WP
WP Member Posts: 4
We're putting in Runtal wall radiators in our remodel and will have the pipes come in from the walls above the baseboards. However, the Runtal standard angle valves would need to be set partially in wall, which means we would have to use escutcheons to hide the opening.

I want to avoid having to use escutcheons and was hoping somebody here would have brand/part number for angle valves they've used for Runtal installations that allows flush installation without the valves having to be set partially in wall. Alan Forbes, a frequent contributor here, mentioned that the valve he used in the attached picture was from Ballofix but his supplier no longer stocks it.

I really appreciate any help!!! Thanks.

Will

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    TRV's and angle valves

Using an angle valve when the wall panel is thin is difficult due to the radius of the angle valve. The radiator tapping needs to be at least 11/2" from the wall to plumb in a valve.

Here's the link to the Oventrop valves and specs. Maybe you can find one that will work...

http://www.oventrop-us.com/pdf/brochure/OV_Thermostat_Guide.pdf
  • WP
    Is this Oventrop the right one?

Paul,

Thanks for pointing me to Oventrop. The only one I found that might work is the SKU 1091082 on this page:

http://www.oventrop-us.com/catalog/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=l&ProdSort=19&page=2&idCategory=50&viewAll=yes

I can't seem to find specs on how far it protrudes from the wall. Is that one the most comparable to the Runtal angle shut off valve in the attached picture?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    That looks a lot like the Myson LKD16AN

which quotes 1.75" depth (versus 1.98" on  the Oventrop.)  Myson detail shows 1.03" to centerline of radiator spud, but remember with either of these planted flush your pipe would effectively terminate inside the wall sheeting. 
  • WP
    Question about the Myson valve

Thanks for pointing out the Myson option, which is shallower than the Runtal valve (the one in the picture, not the Oventrop). So if they terminate inside the wallsheeting, then I'd have to use an escutcheon still?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Myson lockshield valves

No need to use escutcheons per se, but they do save on paint/plaster finish labor.  
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
    edited June 2013
    Runtal

It would be nice to know what Runtal recommends on how to install their radiators.

Don't they have any "solutions" on their website?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • WP
    Runtal valve offering

For the angle valve, the picture I posted previously was what Runtal had, which requires in wall termination. The Myson valve suggsted by SWEI is actually shallower and is just deeper than the radiator centerpoint by 0.03".
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    brackets

Can you move the rad further off the wall? If I remember correctly the Runtal 'L' brackets can be flipped around for different wall spacings.
  • Johnny6
    Johnny6 Member Posts: 7
    Stelrad

This usually where I end up looking

http://www.expressradiant.ca/pdfs/valves_and_accessories.pdf
  • Oh, I get it!

In this land of plenty:

We used to be able to do it this way and make it look good, but now when for some reason, we can't get this perfectly suited connector, we can't do it this way anymore.

Something is wrong somewhere.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
This discussion has been closed.