Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Issue - Condensation?

xTorquEx
xTorquEx Member Posts: 2
First of all, I'd like to say that I appreciate any advice given in advance... My issue is this.. I live in a home constructed in 1902.. it is elderly. It has hot water heat with cast iron pipes throughout. Now that it is summer I have completely drained the water out of the heating system. Now I've run into an issue... the other day I noticed dirty water in lines all over the basement. I looked up and saw that EVERY iron pipe - there are several over 10 had drops of water on them. I thought to myself " how is it possible that every pipe is leaking?" So I cleaned up all the mess, cleaned the pipes, and re-drained the system... a very small amount of dirty water came out. Since then no issues, I thought it was a fluke! Today I went to dry my clothes and when I returned to the basement there is water everywhere again! Thinking back, last time this happened I was also doing laundry. Am I nuts here to think that it is impossible for every pipe to leak simultaneously? Does the dryer have anything to do with this? I attempted to drain the system and literally nothing came out, not even one drop. What do I do?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Dryer?

Is your dryer vented to the outside?

Why are you draining your pipes?

Try putting a cheap humidistat down there.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • xTorquEx
    xTorquEx Member Posts: 2
    Issue - Condensation?

Thank you for your responses... yes the dryer is vented to the outside but this problem began happening AFTER I cleaned the heating vent tube (which had about 5 pounds of lint in it) out 2 weeks ago... I drained the water out of the heating system in a panic assuming it was all leaking simultaneously like out of a horror movie.... Not an intelligent thing to do but I assumed the worst and just did it.  I'm thinking that maybe the vent spawned a hole or became disconnected - because there is an iron heating pipe sitting directly above the heating vent tube that leads outdoors... however would this lead to condensation on pipes that are more than 20 feet away from this?
This discussion has been closed.