To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Heating System requirements for New House

Heating system requirements for house to near passive house standard. Would the following be enough:

1. A stove with back boiler and rads for space heating

2. Mechanical Heat Recovery Ventilation unit

3. Solar Tubes and Electric immersion for DHW

What would you suggest?
· ·

Comments

• SWEISWEI Posts: 4,941Member ✭✭✭✭
    Somebody has to do the math

and figure out your design loads for both heating and cooling.  Then add up all the internal sources and factor in the 100% MUA requirements.  Almost certainly will want the ERV, may need a boost from a small heat pump or other sources on that air, depending...
    · ·
  • Paul48Paul48 Posts: 2,431Member ✭✭✭
    30 years ago

I worked on a framing crew. We built a passive solar house that was a twin to one built in Nova Scotia. I never got a chance to see the mechancals of the house, but I can tell you that the construction is nothing like conventional. There's nothing difficult about it, but the engineering done beforehand has to be top-notch. Right from the site work, to positioning of the house and its orientation to the sun. There can't be any guesswork involved. 
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!