To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

pex or copper in concrete?

tonyktonyk Posts: 12Member
Hello,

I have a boiler with base board heat. There is a  4 ft. piece of copper pipe which is buried in the the concrete slab in the area under my front door. It has developed a  leak and I was wondering if it is better to use Pex or stick with the copper.  I will be recovering the pipe with concrete when the leak is repaired.

Also, if I use pex are Shark Bite fittings a good way to connect to the existing copper pipe.
· ·

Comments

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,653Member ✭✭✭✭
    Pex

In concrete is better. All though copper lasts a long time, pex will outlast copper with the use of fly ash, and other chemicals in today's concrete mix its hard on copper.
    · ·
  • Steve WhitbeckSteve Whitbeck Posts: 669Member
    PEX

PEX is better but for a short run just run the copper pipe inside a rubber hose to keep it off the concrete. That way you don't have to buy any special connectors.
    · ·
  • tonyktonyk Posts: 12Member
    Pex or copper

If I use pex, or copper should I cover it with a hose? or I was thinking about using pipe insulation or some kind of foam wrap to allow for expansion and to insulate it from the concrete
    · ·
  • hot rodhot rod Posts: 3,733Member ✭✭✭
    pipe wrap tape

would be fine, insulation would give you a hollow space in the concrete.

Most plumbing and HVAC suppliers have this tape.
    png
    png
    Screen shot 2013-05-23 at 9.44.02 AM.png
    0B
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    · ·
  • IronmanIronman Posts: 2,169Member ✭✭✭
    Shark Bites...

May be okay if the copper is clean and not out of round. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd go with the appropriate press fittings. Pex moves form thermal expansion and contraction and may cause an issue with the O ring in the long term.

If it were accessible, that would be a different scenario, but considering the possible cost of redoing it, I'd go with a proven method. If you don't have the tools, you may want to hire a pro.

Also, make sure that you use o2 barrier pex. It does make a difference.
    Bob Boan

You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    · ·
  • Paul48Paul48 Posts: 2,313Member ✭✭✭
    Pex & Connections

No buried connections.
    · ·
  • tonyktonyk Posts: 12Member
    Type L copper

If I use copper, I was thinking about using coil that way no joints under concrete. If I go that route, would type L be OK? or would I have to use type K
    · ·
  • Steve WhitbeckSteve Whitbeck Posts: 669Member
    Use L

L would be just fine.

I remove old leaking piping and install new L copper pipe. I insulate the pipe where it may contact the concrete.
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!