To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Natural Gas System sizing and expansion....

JayKayJayKay Posts: 4Member
Howdy,

I have an Elster Ac-250 meter, looks pretty new, so I gather this means that I have 250K BTU capacity with a 1" coming from the meter.

This 1" then leads to a larger sized pipe, looks at least 1 1/2" (not sure how to convert circumference to diameter).  This larger pipe leads to the boiler room (maybe 25'-30' from meter)and tees off to two 1/2" pipes, one going to my Lennox Elite G61MPV (75K/110K 2 stage) furnace, the other to two WH hooked up in series (in series for water distribution) (40K BTU each).  The 1/2" going to the WH's first goes to one, tees and connects and continues to the second (i.e. the gas line is hooked up in series also).  The 1 1/2" also continues all the way to my laundry room and terminates in a 1/2" coonection, but is not hooked up to anything at present (maybe another 30' of 1 1/2" line).

I am proposing to add a 54K range (i.e. cooking surface) to the system in the kitchen which is directly above the boiler room, so maybe 10' at most.  From what I can tell this should be fine with the current lines and gas meter that I have.

My question, however, is whether I can connect the range in series with the 1/2 line that the WH's currently use.  The reason for this is space issues for the installation and the fact that the 1/2 for the WH's is right below and easily accessible.  So tyhis 1/2" line would run the two WH's and the 54K range.

If I HAD to I can access the 1 1/2" line, but it's all very tight there and I might have to remove some ducting to get in there and do it up right.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

-JK-
·

Comments

• JayKayJayKay Posts: 4Member
    ONE other additional fact.....

This post adds to my original post:

The 1 1/2" line that runs all the way to my laundry room ALSO runs a gas fireplace.  not sure what the BTU is on that, but it's some pretty feeble flames coming out of there.
    ·
  • SWEISWEI Posts: 5,058Member ✭✭✭✭
    In short, no, but...

can you post a drawing with diameters and lengths?

Who will be doing the work, and where is the house located?
    ·
    No schematics..

I live outside of Denver, Colorado at 5400 feet elevation.  I would be doing the work myself.  I have checked with the building department and they are fine with that.  I have done plumbing work in the past, also installed my own pool heater (replacement) when I was living in CA.

I don't have schematics, but imagine a 5 x 10' boiler room in the basement, the furnace occupies 1/3 of the room almost, and then right next to it are two water heaters.  The 1 1/2" has been run along the floor joists and pops down right next to the furnace, the 1/2" pipe going to the furnace has a run of no more than 3 feet, the other 1/2" pipe has a run of about 5 feet to the first water heater and then maybe another four feet to the second water heater.  The cooking range goes into the kitchen  right above the boiler room with  a run of about 8-10 feet from where the 1/2" pipe leading to the water heaters terminates.

In any case, I was already dubious about my proposal, I was just wondering if it were possible since the furnace draws 110K and my 2 WH's plus range would only draw 134K (40+40+54).  But I also know that distance skews the equations.

So my next question would be, what if I got rid of one of the water heaters.  I already now leave one off anyhow (we bought the house with this setup, we are only 3 people and I don't see us needing more than the one 50gallon WH).  I had been thinking that if we have company it would be nice to (almost) double our hot water capacity, but this is not a necessity.  Just so the current setup is not a total waste I had been thinking about stripping the insulation from the first water heater in series and just use it as a pre-tank to bring the water temperature up to room temperature before it goes into the second water heater (in CO inlet cold temperature is about 40 degrees).

So if I remove/incapacitate the first water heater in the series and do not draw any BTU's (so only 40K draw on the line) and then run the 1/2" pipe another 10ft to my kitchen directly above for a total draw of 94K, would this be acceptable.  The total run of 1/2" pipe from the 1 1/2" in this scenario would be about 15'.

Thanks

-JK-
    ·
    Gas Cooktop is 44K not 54K

I miscalculated the total BTU for the gas range cooktop, it is 44K, not 54K. 

I just looked at the specs again and totaled up the various burners, there's one simmer at 5K, two regular burners at 9K, one power burner at 12K and a dual burner at 18K.

Sorry for the previous misinformation.
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!