To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

By special request.

Dan HolohanDan Holohan Posts: 11,944Moderator mod
About those things a plumber must know? Let's see:

1. Water flows downhill

2. Cold's on the right; hot's on the left

3. Don't bite your fingernails.

I forget the rest. Feel free to jump in.
Site Administrator

dan@heatinghelp.com

Hug your kids.
· ·

Comments

• Robert O'BrienRobert O'Brien Posts: 2,303Member ✭✭✭
    Water

Water is not the only thing that rolls downhill! And payday is Friday!
    · ·
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heatingBob Gagnon plumbing and heating Posts: 1,288Member
    Like Mark Eatherton Says

I got pumps that will make water go uphill...
    · ·
  • kevinkevin Posts: 60Member
    plumbing quote

righty tighty lefty loosey
    · ·
  • JackJack Posts: 777Member ✭✭✭
    Every time...

I begin to think I'm a pretty smart guy I find myself in a place like this!
    · ·
  • CondomanCondoman Posts: 29Member
    Always

close the drain before taking the faucet apart!
    · ·
  • rick in Alaskarick in Alaska Posts: 171Member ✭✭✭
    shirts

!. Keep your dang shirt tucked in!

2. Look around and ask lots of questions. And get lots of training.

3.  Always assume there is more of a problem than you think. Keeps you from fixing the "problem" and leaving, only to find the other one on the recall.

4. See #1
    · ·
  • psb75psb75 Posts: 20Member
    William of Ockham

To rick of Alaska: I humbly beg to differ. One of the best "tools" I have ever acquired in my career is "Ockham's Razor," compliments of William of Ockham, a 14th cent. English philosopher/logician. Its a logically elegant principle of problem solving. Basically: start with the simplest fix, FIRST. E.g.: If your car stops running--check the gas gauge.

I use the "Razor" almost every day.
    · ·
  • icesailoricesailor Posts: 7,265Member ✭✭✭✭
    #1 Rule:

99,9999% of intermittent water leaks through a ceiling with a bathroom above it is from some form of water getting through the walls around a tub or shower or a leaking shower valve.

Never take down a ceiling unless there is water steadily leaking through the ceiling.
    · ·
    ockhams razor

Whole heartily agree with that. What I was saying is just don't assume that when you find the basic problem that you are done. There might be a second issue that is not apparent until the first problem is fixed.

Rick

p.s. I also use the same problem solving sequence myself. Start with the most likely problem and then go from there. Gets me to where I need to be.
    · ·
    payments

Collect you payment as soon as you are done before the customer forgets how important it was to have you out there right now.

Be polite.

Clean up after yourself.

Tuck your shirt in!!!

Pass along the knowledge.

Rick
    · ·