To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Types of compressors rotary vs recip - OLD fridges

ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 3,232Member ✭✭✭
I'm curious what the advantages and disadvantages of reciprocating and rotary compressors are?

As many know, I have been restoring two 1930s refrigerators for a while now and I've studied everything I can find on them.

One thing that had me wondering for a bit was why GE switched from SO2 to methyl formate for 2 years and then back to SO2. From what I've found it was due to non-condensibles causing problems due to moisture breaking the refrigerant down. This lead to service calls where repairmen would "bleed" the system and let the non-condensibles out without letting much if any refrigerant out. Either way it lead to angry customers.

What I don't understand is why GE used reciprocating compressors with SO2 but used a rotary design with the methyl formate.

I'm hoping someone may have an idea why? What I can tell you is SO2 is similar to R12 as far as operating pressures where methyl formate operates under a substantial vacuum on the evaporator side. My guess has been a rotary is better at low pressure operation but I have no clue honestly. Both use what appear to be called flooded evaporators where refrigerant flow is regulated with a highside float.

I have a 1933 and 1934 unit which are both methyl formate \rotary units and all I can say is I have never heard such a beautiful sounding pump anywhere else.

On a side note, both reciprocating and rotary compressors used on these have a unloader than holds the intake valve open until oil pressure reaches a certain point. This actually allows the pump to start with a high head pressure and I have personally tested it by unplugging the fridge for a second, allowing it to stop and plugging it back in. It started right up.
Weil-McLain EG-40 connected to 392sqft of radiation via two 2" risers into a 3" drop header and 2" equalizer. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment Typical operating pressure 0.5 - 1.0 inch wc.

Steam system pictures updated 1/25/15.
https://picasaweb.google.com/thetube0a3/Boiler?authkey=Gv1sRgCImUxIqv9436MQ#

Don't push the envelope, eliminate it.
· ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!