Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RIBu1c

add
add Member Posts: 94
hi i like to understand in simple words how the rib works ,mostly how all six wires work.

how does it get energized on the low volt side or high volt side.

yellow/white  com  = volt?

yellow com =volt?

blue  n/close = volt?

orange n/open= volt?     thank you? maybe some example using all six wires?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited May 2013
    U1C wiring

Try this
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    RIB

I had posted this on Oil Tech Talk a while back. Hope this helps.

I have a RIB2401D on our work bench , which consists of one Relay, and a Double Pole Double Throw switch (2 normally open switches and 2 normally closed switches) you can supply the Relay with either 24 volts, or 120 volts to energize the relay which will then switch the position of the switches from their former position (i.e, if a switch is N.C, then when the relay is energized it will switch to the open position) The voltage that powers the relay portion does not "touch" the switch section, they are completely separate, all it does is energize a coil of wire and creates  magnetism and when it does it causes the switch contacts to reverse their position, so since the voltage for the relay does not supply voltage to the sets of switch/switches, you have to bring your own source of power into each switch (either 24v, or 120v). I guess you can call the set/sets of switches in a RIB "Dry Contacts" which means no juice/no power. A switch is just a switch, think of the switch/switches inside of a relay like a wall switch (toggle) it is either open (no power allowed to go through) or closed, allows power to pass along) So if you have say a T-stat tied in to control the 24v side of the relay, when the stat calls for heat it will close a switch inside of itself to send 24v to the relay coil and energize it, now your switches inside of the relay will reverse their positions, so I had a 24v EP Switch hooked up to one of the NO switch's on the relay, and I got that power from the secondary side of my transformer, so once the t-sat received a call for heat it powered the relay coil and closed of my NO switches that had 24v waiting on one side of that switch, so once that NO switched to the closed position it sent 24v to my EP switch and opened my my Pneumatic damper. Hope i made some sense. I have a crude mock up on our bench with the RIB controlling a couple of different loads with both 24v, and 120v, the best thing to do is get your self a couple of these relays and start testing them with your multimeter to see how the switches operate when the coil is energized, and get yourself some copies of Carol Fey's books, she great at explaining the way relays work.
  • add
    add Member Posts: 94
    thank you

for your help.I must missed your article on "oil tech news" you know how it is in winter season.I ended up calling the company directly on monday,and had a tech explain me the part that i did not understand. Thank you a lot.
This discussion has been closed.