Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU rate Amtrol WH7L

rich67
rich67 Member Posts: 21
Does anybody know the Max BTU's my Amtrol 41 gal indirect heater can use?

I will be converting from oil to natural gas and am trying to get an idea of  max heat load on the boiler. It has electronic controls and when I punch up the BTU it displays as high as 149000 BTU. How accurate is this reading? Is it possible that it would be that high?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited April 2013
    Indirect

It can "use" anything. What the right amount of BTUH's are depend on your demand. How man showers, sinks, laundry, etc. Size of boiler, and water temperatures will also greatly affect performance.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Amtrol

I did not find any info on that exact model. Most amtrol indirect have 3/4" boiler side piping. They also have a fairly high head loss exchanger design. I would be surprised if it will allow more than 4 GPM to flow through.In the very best day that exchanger would release enough energy to give you a delta t of 40 degrees. 4X40x500= 80,000 BTU.

In reality I am not convinced it would be that high.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • rich67
    rich67 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the help...

So, theoretically boiler net output of 80000 BTU would be enough to keep up with the demand.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Max

The maximum the tank can absorb would be 80,000. That is based purely on the boiler side connection. The real number may be lower depending on the surface area of the exchanger.

Amtrol should have those numbers if you need to get closer.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.