Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Very Nice

2»

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I'm Not Suggesting

Anything other then to wait on judgement until the entire piece unfolds. I will though share my opinion that I feel Delta-T is better then Delta-P in on/off zoned systems where as Delta-P is better then Delta-T in constant circulation systems with TRVs or 3-Way Zone Valves.

I think it is a matter of preference and opinion whether one is better then the other or wrong or right dependent on the application. In the end both will do the job which is to move btu/hr.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    According

to Wilo's instructions....Where the systems head is unknown, they recommend starting with 10 as a set point. I guess you'd have to instruct the homeowner on how to fine tune based on system performance.With a minimum shut-off head(zero flow) of 4, would this circ even work for Mr. Barba's 1 or 2 zone only examples?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 21,975
    Smart Pump webinar

presented by PME magazine. From what I viewed yesterday, the ∆P circs work just as well with on/ off zone valves as TRV. If you select the correct product and settings.

http://www.pmengineer.com/events/category/2141-webinar
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Of course it would work

If it were set with H=5, then shut-off head is 4.5 and the pump would circulate roughly 1.5 gpm through that little zone. The zone would be overpumped by 50%, in other words. But that zone would be overpumped by as much even when all the zones are calling. And it would be overpumped by as much at near-design conditions no matter which circulator you use (yes, even the Bumble Bee) for one simple reason: flow has not been appropriately balanced.
  • Paul48
    Wonder

Why they do that when it says the ECM is capable of maintaining pressures equivalent of between 1 and 16 ft? Curious
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I Watched The Webinar

Please correct me if I'm wrong but that Auto pump was still operating on a pump curve. It just has a lot of them it can follow. Again, please correct me if my logic is wrong.

System needs 10gpm with 3 Zones 2,3,5 for flow rates and zone 5 has the highest head requirement. If zones 1 and 3 are open I would over pump Zone 1. Just grasping the concept not saying it's right or wrong. While yes the Delta-P pump would work that little flaw shows it's best in a constant circulation system.

Thanks for the link HR, I enjoyed the webinar.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 21,975
    if you want to "nail"

an exact flow rate a PIBV can work well with a ∆P circ. pages 48- in this journal explains how they work together.

This is one of the best Idronics issues in my opinion, balancing is an often over looked part of hydronic design.

http://www.caleffi.us/en_US/caleffi/Details/Magazines/pdf/idronics_8_us.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    hmmmm....

had to do it
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited April 2013
    I don't know, Paul

You'd have to ask the people who wrote the manual. They contradict it in at least two different places.

If they could turn it down to 2', would you set it that way? That would be a good way to make sure that your higher head loss zones don't get the flow they need. Or you could balance your branches and have appropriate zone flow regardless of total system demand. Yes, I know, people don't balance their circuits, they don't do heat loss, they don't use outdoor reset or set it correctly, they don't calculate flow and head loss, they don't glue or prime their venting, they don't use oxygen diffusion barriers, they don't pump away... sheesh, scorched air is starting to sound pretty good! Luckily, now we have a product that will single-handedly right all these wrongs. But will it put down the toilet seat after someone leaves it up?
  • Paul48
    LOL

You forgot....They don't even open the I&O.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    I've Had The Constant Ring

of the song Girl Talk stuck in my head all week..............thanks Giovanni ! :-)
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Same

I'm wondering if the tune was the inspiration for Valley girl by Frank and Moon unit. Although Frank was all original and a genius.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Good Morning

There are some things you can't cover up with lipstick and powder....................Damn here we go again.
This discussion has been closed.