To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

4 inch pipe tap

Dave StromanDave Stroman Posts: 752Member
I have a100+ year old steam boiler that I am working on.  There is a 4" nipple in the bottom of the boiler that is rotted out.  I know when I crank on it with my wrench it will crush an collapse, requiring me to chisle out the threads.  The problem is getting my hands on a 4" pipe tap.  They cost $600 or more on line.  Crap!  I need to chase these threads and will probably never use it again. 

Any one have a trade secret on cleaning up these threads without a tap?
Dave Stroman
· ·

Comments

• Charlie from wmassCharlie from wmass Posts: 3,216Member ✭✭✭
    Unless it is January and

there was no other choice I would just have the people budget for a new boiler. If I had to do it I would tighten the nipple first then try and loosen it. If it collapses I would score it three times 1 inch apart as deep as I could without marring the female threads and fold it in. If the threads are dirty I use a rotary wire brush to clean the threads.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    · ·
  • heatpro02920heatpro02920 Posts: 991Member
    I have seen 4" taps for under $400

But that is still a lot to pay, and you will probably never use it again...

I have up to 2" but no 4" {could have fedexed it back and forth}...

I would explain it to the customer, that they should be ready to install a new boiler but you are going to do your best..

The good news is I have done this a couple times and 4" pipe is very easy because its so large, and since the pipe is rotted that is actually another plus.. I would first soak it in some home made penetrating fluid {acetone and tranny fluid} and then try to twist it out. If it collapses then get down there and file her out.. I use a nice sharp hacksaw blade with the skinny handle cut it before the threads and hammer and chesel it apart on itself... then a dremel tool with a steel brush to clean up the threads, teflon tape and pipe dope should get her done....

I know customers hate to replace old boilers, especially large ones... But when you explain its going to be $1000 to replace that pipe they start thinking about it a little more seriously...

Another note, I had a 2" pipe I did in a boiler that was over 40 years old, and it leaked with a steel nipple, even after chasing it with the tap and doping the heck out of it.... I tried a brass nipple in place of the steel nipple and it never leaked again...
    · ·
  • hot rodhot rod Posts: 3,835Member ✭✭✭
    Sometimes

If you just need to clean a thread take a hack saw and saw some slots into a 4" nipple, it turns it into a tread cleaner, but will not cut new threads.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    · ·
  • Dave StromanDave Stroman Posts: 752Member
    Thanks for the advice

Thanks guys.  If anyone knows where I can get a $400 4" pipe tap, let me know.  I will try it without, but need to keep my options open.
    Dave Stroman
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!