To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Need to contact us? Visit

Lp gas pressure "conversion"

kcoppkcopp Member Posts: 2,522
I have a customer who has an existing direct vent water heater that is LP gas fired. It is on its last legs and leaking. He would like to replace it w/ a tankless fired unit. Problem is that the copper gas line runs over a finished space and is undersized. Is it possible to convert that to a 2# set up and then put a step down regulator in? What has to happen at the tank? New regulator or just an adjustment?


  • Aaron_in_MaineAaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 307

    Yes you can as long as nothing else is on that line. You will need a new regulator at the tank and a maxitrol for your new tankless. If there are other appliances on that line then they will need maxitrols as well.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
  • TonySTonyS Member Posts: 849
    It depends

    If you have two step regulation, A 10# at the tank and a 11 inch wc at the house, then you will only need to change the one at the house and add another inside.

    If you have a two stage single regulator you will need to replace the one on the tank .

    Download the serviceman's manual and the products catalog. It will show you everything.

    Remember to check and see if the tank will be large enough to supply the gas without freezing up. The tables are in the manual.
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!