Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I hate some subs...

Options
heatpro02920
heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
I'm doing a new construction job, heat and DHW, has been going on for a long time, they are weather tight now but I took a deposit on this job 2 years ago!! So it has been a process, the home owner is contracting it himself and he has had problems with the banks, DEM, and local town officials, I think if it were me I would have gave up by now, but anyway I got the call that they were hanging wall boards next week, my inspections are all done except for the final but I wanted to at least stop by and make sure I didn't forget anything...

I noticed a messy roll of t-stat wire hanging on my boiler and I couldn't figure out where it came from, but I figured it out pretty fast, I installed a Buderus gas boiler, 2 First co. air handlers, and a Rinnai water heater. Now the electrician ran all my thermostat wires, but I ran the wires for my Rinnai controllers, they have 3 plus the one on the unit, 1 in the master bath, 1 in the laundry room, and 1 in the kitchen.

Normally I would have the electrician do the wires, but this isn't a normal house where you see the subs here and there, I was literally the only one in the house when I was working... So I had my guy run the wires, everything passed inspections and I did it rite... But for some reason the electrician figured he would rip it all up and throw it on my boiler, so I called the homeowner he called the electrician and he said "yeah, I ripped it out, Im not letting people run wire on my permit!!!" So the home owner tells me, and I told him "look, I'm not putting them back up, the wire is there, I put it up once, you want them controls installed, you run it" He understood and said he would do it, but it just goes to show you how some guys are just not all there...

Everyone else on the job seemed easy to deal with, I told the plumber to run 2 knob faucets everywhere if he could, and he did, I asked the roofer if he could flash in my vents a certain way and he did, the sprinkler guy asked me if I could stub out a drain for him and I did, that is normally how this stuff works, but some times you run into a complete jerk.... this is one of them cases, but he only hurt his customer and himself because now I know him, and next time I see him, Im going to mention how he behaved and he's going to have to answer for his actions...

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Good Luck:

Good Luck with Sparky. He sounds like one of those that are smart and you're not. Until nothing in the heating end works and it's your fault. You should have run the wire if it was that difficult.

Some of them couldn't wire a 4 way switch with the book open to the page.

I usually tell them to run the wires and I'll fix them if (when) they don't work.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Division of labor

here in NM allows any mechanical contractor to install, alter, repair, and service whatever their license class allows "including pneumatic or electric controls and control wiring not greater than 24 volts, concrete supports, and excavating, trenching and backfilling."
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    What do you think

These guys would do.

One call does it all lol.
  • heatpro02920
    Options
    LOL

Pest control too? Wow thats an all in one business... When I first opened my first deli, I was waiting for the delivery vehicles to get lettered so used one of my toyotas that is lettered for the hvac co. for delivery, it created some confusion, people would answer the door and tell the delivery kid that their was no problem with their heat...
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Sounds Like

A union guy. I used to work for Kold Draft Ice here in DC. Got a service call on a new install that we just did on a new hotel. Water leak was the call, dispatcher said probley some trash in the drain line he said it was only a week old job. Got there and no trash in fact no drain line. Drain line was cut at the machines and water running on floor. Plumber who was still on job said only union workers can run drain line to his plumbing. I brought the manager over showed him were our lines were cut and told him I would run it again one last time. We vwere called back to do all the other refrigeration repairs after that. All the refrig was done by union shops. One of the first repairs was on a under counter reach in. I found a bad TEV. Went to cut the equilizer line and found it full of soft solder, 100% blocked. Reran line and all was ok.  
  • heatpro02920
    Options
    Unclejohn

don't even get me on union guys, I have had jobs where I have had to bring them in to comply, {obviously not all are bad} but you think you were annoyed with them, try paying them $70 an hour, and see how mauch patience you have then lol...
This discussion has been closed.