To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Turning off radiators

Pete123Pete123 Posts: 22Member
If I essentially "turn off" a number of radiators by turning the adjustable vents to zero, how will this affect the whole system? I am doing this because some rooms on the second and third floor get too hot, or are not used much. Am I saving money by doing this, or just screwing everything up?
·

Comments

• JStarJStar Posts: 2,616Member ✭✭✭
    Vents

It's better to let the radiators get some steam. You'll keep the system happy, and create less of a heat loss for the other rooms. Sounds like a good application for TRV's.
    - Joe Starosielec
    732-494-4357 ext. 2
    jstar.HVAC@gmail.com
    ·
  • Tim_HodgsonTim_Hodgson Posts: 59Member
    Stopwatch

I do not think it will have much of a negative effect. But... if you are worried about it try timing a cold start in the morning with all the radiator vents open. time how long it takes to get steam to the end of the main vent then to the radiators. The next morning close the radiator vents and time it again. If the rooms warm up just as fast, then it had little effect.

Good luck,

Tim Hodgson 
    ·
  • nicholas bonham-carternicholas bonham-carter Posts: 5,596Member ✭✭✭
    Saving money

A balanced system in which steam arrives at all the radiators at the same time is an economical system, which will save you money, especially if you keep a constant temperature.

It seems that your system has got out of balance, probably because of inadequate main (not radiator) venting.

Post some pictures of the boiler, and radiators, for further analysis.--NBC
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!