To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Heat Loss up chimney for water heater

JfontoJfonto Posts: 43Member
Anyone know what the heat loss for a chimney,with only a hot water heater on it , would be.

I'm think of going to a direct vent unit and block off chimney.

• JfontoJfonto Posts: 43Member
    To be specific,

what's the heat loss from the draft drawing out heated air and sucking in cold?
  • chapchap70chapchap70 Posts: 131Member
    It Depends

Obviously, the colder the outside temperature and/or the higher the water temperature in the heater, the greater the heat loss.  A direct fired water heater can lose 8 degrees per hour when really cold.  A direct vented water heater will have heat loss as well (maybe not quite as much?) unless there is insulated venting with a damper (which I'm not sure is available or practical). 

My thinking without really investigating it is it would not pay to do this.
This discussion has been closed.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!