To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Pressure rising to 60psi

Steve GarsonSteve Garson Posts: 596Member ✭✭
I had to replace a leaking expansion tank last week on a radiant heating system. I installed a new one with a 20psi charge and charged the system to 20psi. The water-feed valve was then shut off.

A few days later, I saw the pressure gauge reading of 60psi. Puzzled, I drained around 2+ quarts of water and the pressure went back down to 20psi.

Today, the pressure was high again, so I drained some more. The water temp varies from 100* to 140*.

This all seems wrong. What is happening here?

Thanks,

Steve Garson

Boston, MA
Steve from Newton, MA
·

Comments

• icesailoricesailor Posts: 7,265Member ✭✭✭✭
    Leaks:

There's a leak from the high pressure (Potable, Street) side to the lower pressure, closed heating side somewhere. A indirect coil most likely.
    ·
  • RobGRobG Posts: 1,677Member ✭✭✭
    Relief valve

On top of what Ice said, that relief valve shoud have never let the boiler get above 30 psi (unless it is a rare system that is rated higher). Check the relief valve as well.

Rob
    ·
  • Steve GarsonSteve Garson Posts: 596Member ✭✭
    Leak

That makes a lot of sense. This is my second Combicore. It is perhaps five years old. I wish my contractor installed a small boiler, instead. Any suggestions on the smallest boiler available>

Steve
    Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    Leak

That makes a lot of sense. This is my second Combicore. It is perhaps five years old. I wish my contractor installed a small boiler, instead. Any suggestions on the smallest boiler available>

Steve
    Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    No relief

Just noticed...no relief valve on heating loop. Only on potable hot water side. Unbelievable!
    Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    No relief

Just noticed...no relief valve on heating loop. Only on potable hot water side. Unbelievable!
    Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    No relief

Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    No relief

Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    No relief

Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    No relief

Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    No relief

Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
    No relief

Steve from Newton, MA
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!