Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Questions after new furnace installation

Hi - my new 95% furnace was installed in my NJ home.

I was wondering if the ducts should be wrapped in insulation in the basement. It's so cold down there (50-55 deg). When I asked the installer said no,

There are registers in my floor. Each season I vacuum them out however with the new duct work they used 1 inch screws. These screws stick out on the inside of the ducts - not easy to get a vacuum hose in there without getting it stuck.

Any suggestion on best way to cut the screws?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Duct Insulation:

Im Massachusetts, I think that all new heating duct must be insulated.

There must have been a sale on 50# boxes of 1" screws.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    ScReWeD

Just go down stairs and take out the long screws one at a time and replace them with short ones.... Cutting them is going to suck... you can use snips but it is hard and takes some forearm strength and cover your eyes...

As for insulation around these parts on a/c ducts need to be insulated by code R6 resi and r8 commi.... BUT, I insulate them all, just depends on the quality of the installers work and if the budget calls for it, I bet if you asked when you got your proposal he would have added it for you, but it does get expensive... Good practice to just insulate it so you don't get a blast of cold air when the unit kicks on, and it sucks to do it after the fact, I insulate and fold then install the piece and fold the insulation back down and tape the seems, but once its hung, oh boy that will not be fun.. I tend to give my resi customers a choice, R6 or R8, and I ask them if they get another price to compare to mine, make sure its granny smith apples and granny smith apples...
This discussion has been closed.