Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

propane wall mount boiler

2»

Comments

• panman
    panman Member Posts: 82
    re-tankless

Heatpro, thanks for your reply. I am hoping to get another 5-8 years out of my boiler. By then tankless water heaters will have been out there awhile and i can see what has been holding up over the years. I know i do not need a 138,000 btu boiler if i lose my 80 gallon tank. I will have to have a heat loss test done for future reference. It should be decent. I have 2 ft of insulation in ceiling, 6 in. in the walls with 5/8'' sheet rock and 1/2 of down stairs is in the ground. The home was built in 2006, we bought it in 2009. We don't use a lot of hot water due to our 2 children are in college, just my wife and i most of the time. Thanks - Peter.

PS Do those RMB's draw alot of energy? It seems to me that i am moving water 2 times more than needed and using twice as much electricity to do so? Just a thought.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited March 2013
    Tankless water heaters HAVE been out there awhile

Paloma, Takagi, and Rinnai have all been selling gas-fired tankless water heaters for roughly 40 years.  The Europeans figured out electric tankless decades ago.

At least with regard to the better brands, installer and user misunderstandings cause far more grief than poor design does.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    I have tankless

units in restaurants and community centers that get more use in 1 year than a resi unit will see in its lifetime, they are "out there" for 7 + years with just the descaling service and nothing else needed, which home owners can do in 20 minutes for the cost of a gallon of vinegar....

IMO you are throwing money away using your 80 ga tank for 2 people, but replacing functioning equipment makes it tough to warrant the upgrade... Just something to keep in mind, you stop running the indirect and you can turn the boiler temps all the way down to the floor temps and get rid of the pump stations and not need to go anywhere near 190* with the boiler as well as just run it for the winter..

At the end of the heating season I shut the boilers down and don't think about them until it drops below 50* out side {heatpumps work for the warmer cold months..}
  • chiro
    chiro Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    propane tankless wall mount boiler to heat 3000 sq. ft. baseboard heat home?

We presently use a wall mounted 199,000 btu Navian propane tankless for hot water for our two story, 5 bedroom 3 bath, 2000 sq. ft. addition. Can we use a similar tankless for 4-5 zones of baseboard heating on 3000 sq. ft? Not too many windows and vaulted cielings.
  • HomeOwner1
    HomeOwner1 Member Posts: 134
    Yes it can

We have a larger home, over 3500 sqft, then that in New Jersey. We have three full baths, 4 stats and six loops with subloops as well.

It works fine. We have a ton of windows and much of the house has vaulted ceilings.

We have the Navien CH-240 with the outdoor temp sensor as well. We went that big to meet our hot water demands, the heating load turns down to a much lower firing rate. Heats the house up just fine.

It needs to be installed correctly though! A primary and secondary loop setup with the pumps pushing out away from the loop and not on the returns.

There are lots of combi choices out there, but not to many that can hit this type of hot water demand and heating load in a combi in that budget range, from our research when we were buying.
  • chiro
    chiro Member Posts: 2
    yes it can

thank you for your response, info., and encouragement.
This discussion has been closed.