Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best pex for warmboard

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
In the past we have always used pex aluminum pex I have heard people say it is the least likely to have expansion noise

There are a lot of other types Now approved for warmboard any experiences or suggestions Greatly appreciated

Thanks Steve

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited March 2013
    Expansion noise

There will be no expansion noise if the system temperature is mixed by using a motorized mixing valve or if it's a dedicated circuit from a condensing boiler. The noise typically comes from "slugging" the circuit with high temperature water when there is a call for heat. That won't happen when there is continuous circulation with a mixed-temperature application, controlled by a motorized mixing valve, or a dedicated single circuit from a mod-con. The tubing choice is yours.
  • Steve_210
    Thank you

We will be using a taco RmB 1

You would have no preference on the pex provided it is approved for warmboard
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Tubing vs control strategy

As long as it's barrier pex, no preference. It's all about the control of the circuit. I've seen noise when a manual thermostatic 3 way was used, but never in a system with a motorized mixing valve or dedicated mod-con circuit with continuous circulation. Installing a "smart" pump complements the technology.
  • Steve_210
    Thank you Paul

For your Help

Exactly what I needed
  • bb_5
    bb_5 Member Posts: 15
    see Warmboard approved tubing list

See the link below.  If you are using Barrier Tubing, it must be on the list. The Oxygen Barrier needs to be placed on the inside of one of the layers to avoid noise issues with the Warmboard.

http://www.warmboard.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/ApprovedTubingList_0812.pdf

bb
  • pex in Warmboard

I have had problems in the past with keeping pex tubing (Uponor He-Pex) to stay down in the Warmboard groves. So have been using per-al-pex tubing which seems to hold better but not great especially on long straight runs. I have heard Warmboard has recently tighten up the grooves on their panels. And I am thinking of going back to using pex barrier tubing again does any one have any thoughts or experience with this.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    we

generally recommend PAP. tighter fit, better conduction, better at staying put.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.