To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

homemade panels...

kcoppkcopp Posts: 1,660Member ✭✭✭
any thoughts? anyone ever done some and or have instructions on how to do a set...personal use.
· ·

Comments

• crazy907akcrazy907ak Posts: 34Member
    Try builditsolar.com

They have lots of home made design plans plus a ton of other solar projects
    · ·
  • kcoppkcopp Posts: 1,660Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Thanks...

They have some interesting stuff there. Do you think they are worth the effort? Have you ever worked on any?

Has anyone just installed a system that was seasonal... no glycol, blown out during the winter months? How about a direct loop system... no HX?
    Post edited by kcopp on
    · ·
  • psb75psb75 Posts: 20Member
    Seasonal solar systems

I have done all the above except have not had any systems "blow out" in the winter.
    · ·
    by blow out...

I meant to not use during the winter months.
    · ·
  • psb75psb75 Posts: 20Member
    got it

I understand now. No need to blow out a seasonal system if you set it up right. Just open some valves and drain it down. My systems do solar DHW in spring, summer, fall and wood heat does DHW in winter. These are open loops with potable water. No glycol.

Homeowner must sign off on being vigilent about WHEN to switch over the systems.
    · ·
    This is for me....

I don't think I would do this for a customer yet.... kcopp
    · ·
  • hot rodhot rod Posts: 3,780Member ✭✭✭
    Use it year 'round

Solar for Dhw pre-heat works well in winter months. We have plenty systems in the upper Midwest and Nathan in Alaska who hangs out on the wall has some experience with cold climate conditions solar. Consider a plain water drain back system, freeze and overheat protection are the benefits.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    · ·
    Thanks HR...

as this point I would like to do a drainback set up but I can't swing a drainback tank. I am going to run the system at street pressure to a standard water htr and a bronze circ that I have. If the set up works well and business gets better I may do the drainback yr round.
    JPG
    JPG
    DSCN2727.JPG
    0B
    · ·
    edited May 2013
    Online....

About a week behind but...Online! 50 gallon Electric as a storage tank. Bronze006 through a Homemade collector out of 2x4, poly-iso foam, 1/2 copper and thermofin plates. Covered w/ SunTuff. Running from 2pm to 5.30 is I got 100F water to preheat my 60 gallon Superstor.
    JPG
    JPG
    DSCN2736.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    DSCN2728.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    DSCN2732.JPG
    0B
    Post edited by kcopp on
    · ·
    edited May 2013
    Basement looks like...

this...
    JPG
    JPG
    DSCN2746.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    DSCN2748.JPG
    0B
    Post edited by kcopp on
    · ·
    Got home today at.....

5.30 pm. I had a 50 gallon storage tank filled w/ 135*f water. Wow. I wonder if I should have installed a bigger tank......
    · ·
  • SWEISWEI Posts: 4,876Member ✭✭✭✭
    How many square feet

of aperture?
    · ·
    edited May 2013
    The collector....

is around 36 sq ft..... I am starting to wonder if I should have found a bigger tank. The plus side of having the collector at ground level is that  I can cover part of it up.
    Post edited by kcopp on
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!