To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

High-head Low-flow pumps I can variable speed

JamieLeefJamieLeef Posts: 13Member
I've been searching for pumps I can use for medium to large drain back solar systems on tall buildings. Typical systems are 15 to 20 GPM, 40 to 50 feet of lifting head at filling time. I have some Taco 2400-40 and 2400-50s that work well with fixed speed controls. However, I want to use the variable speed outputs on RESOL controls (relayed up to proper amperage of course). What brands/models are installers out there using? Unfortunately the system I am building now is too tall for the Grundfos UPS series, otherwise I'd go there... No, I do not want to double-pump because we use water (bad failure mode!).

Jamie in Boston MA.

• hot rodhot rod Posts: 4,483Member ✭✭✭✭
    what about

The Grundfos VersaFlow series, looks like that has 40- 50' head, if you want to use Grundfos.

Caleffi offers a solid state relay that connects to the R-1 on the i-solar control. We have used this to control large pumps with variable speed function.. The relay we offer is rated 25 amp 24- 250VAC. We have several installed in the field on Magna pumps. Check with Taco to see if their pumps could power from a triac.

We also connected a 5 hp shop vac to the relay to test it in the shop. On large loads you need to use a heat sink on the back side of the relay for heat dissipation.

Grundfos does offer PWM, high efficiency solar pumps that plug directly into the i-solar controls, but they are Euro versions in 230V. I used this 25-105 one on my solar drainback, until my array out-grew the pumps capacity. It's a true PWM pump.
    Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 4.06.03 PM.png
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
This discussion has been closed.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!