Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

favorite zone valve?

pipeking
pipeking Member Posts: 252
what your favorite zone valve?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Belimo CCV

proportional control with a range of Cv choices.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Caleffi

Z-One, similar to the Grundfos, and close to Erie.  I like the fact that the stem seals (double EPDM O rings) and the seal paddle can be replaced while the valve is left in place, isolation valves still need to be closed. They are all synchronous motor spring return style, I'm interested in the Taco MBV, but have yet to use them.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    still a fan...

of the standard Honewell Zv. Its simple, easy to replace/ fix if you need to.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    still for me

Honeywell
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Taco

I like the new Taco units and I have installed and serviced SOOOOO many 571's that I couldn't begin to guesstimate the count, I believe we have over 30 in stock at all times not counting a few on each truck and a few heads on each truck...

But I no longer install them on new systems, I use the Taco Sentry units and I like them... But we are in the heart of Taco country.... I have a picture of a 22 zone building I did with 2- 40va transformers, I will try to dig it up tomorrow at the office...

I like Taco they seem to listen to customers, I told a few guys that I thought they could improve the priority function on their zone control and the lights should be on the front of the control, and others must have complained too because now with the Enhanced zone you can see the lights and if the priority DHW never stops calling you wont freeze the rest of the system..

I never new that was an issue until a customers house froze due to a faulty aquastat on their indirect... WHAT A MESS.... anyway, my vote Taco Sentry...
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Im trying to like the Taco Sentry

Did several jobs using the taco valves, I liked the idea of very little power consumption, I think you can put 12 on one 40va. They have all failed within 2 years. Warranty was from the date code, not the time of purchase . I replaced them at my cost with the newer sentry head, they snapped right on the valve, refused the ones that were on the shelf, they were already six months down on warranty. So far so good, but if they go bad I will replace them with Honeywell or Caleffi.
  • heatpro02920
    Sorry to hear that...

I know they had some initial problems, I would have definitely called a Taco rep or Cranston directly and seen if they would make good. I know the warranty says what it says but with some of this stuff most reps will just take care of you not to have you lose out personally...

I had a watts backflo preventor {commercial unit} that was faulty rite outside the warranty, a five minute call to the rep got me a replacement unit for no cost... Taco has very similar CS...

I hope mine don't start failing, I have a lot of them out there...
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    I LIKE THE

taco sentry, i install them on all new installs.they have nice curves, definitely the best looking zv. i have always liked the caleffi and if the y were readily available were i am i prolly would have always used them and never changed (to sentry). but the taco heat motor i have used from the get-go and will always have on the truck. i have replaced,fixed,serviced more taco hm more then anyother zv; it's like that high school loosie that is always there when u need it, but also throws a monkey wrench in your grove when they thought you've moved on!
  • Rick_B
    Rick_B Member Posts: 1
    Zone Sentry

Tony S, the Taco Zone Sentry has been a phenomenal product for us here at Taco and we have seen very few failures. Currently any Zone Sentry installed out there that does fail would still fall within the warranty period. The Zone Sentry was actually released at the end of 2010 with a 3 year warranty. Is it possible that the product that was replaced was not a Zone Sentry? If you would like to give us a call here at Taco we would be interested in finding out any of the specifics.

Regards,

Rick Brindamour

Product Manager

Taco Inc.
  • Favorite Zone Valves

I think we must have tried almost every domestic zone valve over the years; Honeywell, Taco ESP, Flair..............Honeywell zone valves were only able to tolerate fluid temperatures of 200* and ambient temperatures of 100*. After 1996 (product date code 9601), they upgraded to 240* and 130* respectively. I've replaced quite a few operators; many HO were upset.

I just want the damn thing to last at least 10 years.  That's why we like Danfoss.

http://na.heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/Zone%20Valves%20Brochure.pdf

I also like Caleffi.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Another slant

Over the years (52) we have used just about every zone valve out there -

Flair, Dole/B&G, White Rodgers,  Hwell, Erie & lately I've been impressed with

Caleffi. Sold litterly 1000's of Hwell. We found the biggest problem was the

end switches didn't hold up. The best thing in my opinion to happen to zone

valves in recent years was the introduction of the zone valve zoning panels

Taco & Argo to name a couple. These allow you to not use the end switches

on the valves if you choose not to. Since using these our zone valves last much

longer.

John Pughe
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Taco ZVC...

rock. Make the job very clean and are able to be used w/ different Zv if you so choose.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Rick

The Zone sentry was not the original. The originals were the black units. When they failed I used the new Zone sentrys, they fit right on the old valve bodies.

Even the wire connectors fit on the new Sentrys. I really like the Zone valves, thats why I gave them a second chance. I did notice that the Sentry sounded more powerful and sure.
  • heatpro02920
    This is what I'm talking about...

Taco is top notch, these guys don't play around... I have been to the cranston facility {I own a few rental properties in that area, 2 on Howard st.. and a duplex in Knightsville}

I have used a bunch of sentry valves although I tried to buy 12- 3 way valves recently but the three supply houses I frequent did not have any in stock.... so I ended up using Honeywells and they didn't match the sentrys I already installed but they worked..
  • hws
    hws Member Posts: 43
    honeywell

I'm partial to the Honeywell zv myself...readily available, easy to swap out when needed, seems to last a good long time. I've worked on systems with honeywell ZVs that must have been 40 years old, still working fine.

I wouldn't mind trying the Taco sentry one of these days though. I like most of Taco's stuff, just haven't given their zone valve a try yet.
This discussion has been closed.