To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

winterize

almartiaalmartia Posts: 1Member
If I decide to leave my oil furnace on, set at 43 degrees, to heat the house while it is vacant during the NH winter, I've been told that I should also shut down the power to the water well and pump and drain the pipes. How does this affect the hot water baseboard heating?

Is the baseboard heating a closed water system..... Will it work if the rest of the house has no water because it has been turned off?

I don't want to "winterize" the house and let it sit cold for the entire season...could damage wood floors, walls, & foundation.
· ·

Comments

• SWEISWEI Posts: 4,498Member ✭✭✭
    it shouldn't

as long as the system is tight.  Try shutting off the fill valve for a few days and see if your pressure drops.
    · ·
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 682Member ✭✭
    Other ideas.....

To me, 43 is cutting it close.  Doesnt give you much leeway if the system has a problem.  If it were me, I would make sure there is some freeze protection to warn you if the heater shuts off--alarm contacts on the primary control or thermostat.  Also, you should have a low water cut-off also...just in case.
    steve
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!