Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Pennco boiler no thermostats work with it??

Options
I purchased a Model 1604HSID pennco boiler, Boiler is installed with a new 40' run of 2 wire thermostat wire to old honeywell mercury thermostat. Boiler would not light. Had to turn thermostat to 85 to get it heat. Once thermostat is turned down to 70 is just cycles on and off. Tried new thermostats but am told that they will not work. CT87's.

Any ideas for a thermostat that will work with my boiler? Have not had heat since xmas day!!!

Comments

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    WHEN U SAY

cycles on and off, isn't that what is saposed to do? what does it do exactly?

this is your boiler right? which wireing diagram matches install?http://www.ecrinternational.com/common/get_document.asp?key=2434&ecr_key=16&ext=pdf
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2013
    Options
    New boiler

Who installed the boiler? Have they come back to make this work? A thermostat is just a switch that works on temp. The old Honeywell T87 should work great. Was the new thermostat wire hooked up properly to the boiler?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Unless someone messed up

that T87 when they were putting in the new wire -- and why, I might ask, was new wire needed? (my building still uses the thermostat wiring which was installed in 1930) -- it should work just fine.  As Mark says, a thermostat is nothing more than a switch which turns on when the temperature is below a certain point, and off when it's above.

If the T87 is the older mercury model, however, they are very sensitive to being level.  Is it possible that when it was reinstalled it was not set level?  That's easy to do -- and could easily account for it being way off.

Most (but not all!) newer thermostats will also work just fine.  The only thing there is to check the cycles per hour setting, if it has one -- it should be 1 for steam.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    ya if u think it the wiring

try this. take the thermostat down to the boiler and with a short wire hook up the t-stat. this is kind of a hack way, but sure fire!
  • MTC
    MTC Member Posts: 217
    Options
    If its cycling on/off right at 70

and not at say 72 or 68, and the actual temp in the room is much lower, that sounds like your thermostat is out of level, as mentioned before. Or it has been damaged somehow (loose wire connection or something) causing it to short.

If another thermostat won't work either, it could simply be wired incorrectly at either the thermostat (probably not on that model) or boiler end.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Anticipator

Sounds like it wasn't set for the new boiler?
This discussion has been closed.