Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Way too hot

Options
Hi.

I have a steam radiator. It's very old and the valve is so rusted.

They generally kept our building on the cool side and sometimes there was not enough heat. But I always shut it off every night cause I couldn't sleep with heat on.

After turning it on and off many times for the whole winter so far, it started banging like crazy. I got the super to come fix it and I knew that he would tell me not to turn my heat on and off. So he fixed the valve so I can't move it at all.

Now there is more heat than ever....they say it is on a thermostat, but it's soooo hot, I've never had this much heat before. Today it's not even cold out, it's gonna be a high of 60 (yes, in the winter!) and it's blasting. Is every apartment in the building set to the same thermostat? Or could it just be happening to me...

Since I can't turn the heat on or off anymore, what can I do? Is there a way I can do that through the air vent valve on the other side instead? If I block the hole where the steam comes out, will that help?

I also wanted to know if there is a cover I could put on the radiator to subdue the heat...I put bed sheets and then a sleeping bag on top...seems like the sleeping bag is not the right material cause it seemed like it would melt.

Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    using the air vent to control the radiator

with many air vents, they will close when they are turned upside down. try turning as if to tighten it up first, as you do not want to unscrew it acidentally.

sounds like the system is in need of some maintenance. it may be burning twice as much fuel as it should.

can you go over the super's head and notify the management?--nbc
This discussion has been closed.