Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Radiant Heat - Retrofit Help Please

2»

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited February 2013
    Glad To Hear It

I take it your plumber isn't happy but glad you are..The lesson here is that a little homework and taking the time to fully understand the existing system goes a long way.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • CMadatMe
    Everything

Still working out?
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • rsc92
    rsc92 Member Posts: 51
    Waiting

For tile guy. Will keep you posted.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Re: homeowner help

Chris, I read your posts to this homeowner and just wanted to say congrats on being very helpful and considerate to this person. Sometimes I find people to be not as considerate and helpful as you were and I appreciate that.  Way to go. Tim
  • CMadatMe
    Thanks Tim

Appreciate the kind comment.
  • CMadatMe
    Update?

How are we making out?
  • Radiant Heating

First make sure you get a vapor barrier, a good tile guy will know how to best do this, moisture causes cupping with wood, not heat. If they forgot to install a vapor barrier, they probably didn't insulate under the slab, you said there was a crawl space under, if you have a suspended slap you could get some much needed insulation there. I would add pex, no matter what the calcs come out at, because more is always better, by allowing your system to run at lower, more efficient temps.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating Member Posts: 1,361
    edited February 2013
    Double Post

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • rsc92
    Done!

I installed a new slab sensor in the mud job that the tile guy did over the existing base.  The tile installation came out pretty good.  I have slowly ramped up the floor temperature and the surface temperature of the tile is only a degree or two cooler than the reading from the slab sensor.  Room temperature has been comfortably maintained.  So it is working just fine.  Room is far more comfortable with the tile versus the prior oak floor.  Overall, I think I made the right decision to keep what we had and not re-create the wheel.

Thanks to everyone for their input and especially to Chris for his sound guidance.  You saved me quite a bit of money.  Thanks!!
  • CMadatMe
    Great To Hear

A little donation of a few bucks of that savings to the Wounded Warriors Fund to help a fellow brother in arms would be a nice gesture. Pay if forward!
  • rsc92
    Will Do

Thanks again
  • CMadatMe
    Great Gesture

Thank you and enjoy the warm, comfy floors.
This discussion has been closed.