To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sun porch in winter

I'm looking for some creative ideas on converting 24' X 36' sun porch on a 200 yr-old mansion to year-round use.  Replacing screens with triple-hung windows is a starting point, but with radiant heat as a goal, what alternatives would you suggest to the 5/4" decking that's there now? 

Does a radiant ceiling make sense?  It's covered with bead-board right now, so I suppose a thin beaded plywood could be used to lessen the thermal resistance...

Please help stretch my imagination!
·

Comments

• kcoppkcopp Posts: 1,737Member ✭✭✭
    start w/

the envelope. Get as much insulation in a possible.Spray foam ?  What is underneath? That may be a real challenge. Which way does it face? Some big radiators are prob your best best Radiant floor may be a trick to heat the area all by itself if you have 3 cold walls, lots of windows and a semi exposed floor.
    ·
  • Paul48Paul48 Posts: 2,493Member ✭✭✭
    Consider

also what you have done to the adjacent space in the summer.
    ·
  • JackJack Posts: 785Member ✭✭✭
    Radiant may not be your best option

Simplest effective solution imho is a Rinnai ES 38. www.rinnai.us Check it out. Do try to tighten the envelope
    ·
  • JackJack Posts: 785Member ✭✭✭
    Radiant may not be your best option

Simplest effective solution imho is a Rinnai ES 38. www.rinnai.us Check it out. Do try to tighten the envelope
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!