Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One Pipe Steam System Flooding

Options
2»

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Thermostat/Contoller

Hi- Actually the Tekmar 279 is quite reasonable. I gather you haven't checked out Heat Timer yet?  (You'd  better be sitting down when you do! :)   When you get away from one family residences into multiple unit buildings it's a whole different ball game. With the amount of fuel used to heat a building a saving of a percent or two here and there really adds up.  The result being that a sophisticated building control can quickly pay for itself.

Most places have seasonal heating which lends itself to a timing system, however, San Fransisco has some rather unique weather conditions. It can be a nice warm day and suddenly the fog rolls in with a cold ocean breeze causing the temperature todramatically drop. (Our son lives in San Ramon and it always amazes me how it can be100 deg. on the Walnut Creek side of the tunnel and in the low 50s on the Oakland side.) so I'm not sure how you would handle situation using a timer system unless sit also had indoor and outdoor sensors.

I'm afraid I don't have an good answer for you. You might want to talk to the "other opinion" guy and also inquire as to what other buildings like yours are using for temperature control. I would talk to both the Tekmar and Heat Timer reps just to see what they have to offer. You might also want to contact Honeywell and see what they might recommend.

- Rod
  • SFbird
    SFbird Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Okay then....

At least I have a place to start with everything you have given me here!

We are definitely in a weird climate zone here! I am originally from outside of Detroit and I had never lived someplace where you would need to run a boiler in July! The thing is going year-round so any savings/efficiency we can achieve would be very helpful.

Have a good Holiday and thanks again!

I am hoping for zero Boiler Drama for at least the next week; everything seems to be running okay since they flushed that condensate return.

-Maria
This discussion has been closed.