Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

T-stats in Apts...

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
I have a customer who is in need of a T-stat(s) that he can control or should I say pull the control away from his tenants....  I plan on using a tekmar 260 to control the oil boiler but they still crank up the temp to 78 all the time. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Heat Control:

If the building was built all at once, and there has been nothing in the way of renovations done to the heat emitting system, AND it was properly designed, you can use the Tekmar to control the inside temperatures with Out Door Reset (ODR) and control the temperature of the heating fluid in the system. That way, if the outside temperature goes up and down, the inside will go up and down too. If the chronic thermostat fiddlers have apartments that are on the high side of the curve, it won't work because the ODR must be set at a temperature high enough to heat the coldest apartments. And if DHW comes off the boiler, it won't won't work because you must maintain hot system water for DHW demand.

The comfort levels of tenants are like the demands of little children. You will never make them all happy.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Easy with DDC

We limit the adjustment range either explicitly (up button simply won't move display past 75F) or behind the scenes (display shows 79F or more, but space temp still limited to 75F.)

Not sure what options Tekmar might have there...
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    t-stat

White Rogers makes a commercial t-stat that allows you to install 3 remote  sensors, you can set priority on different sensors   sensors are sold seperate, this is a 24volt heating cooling t-stat, in your case dont wire up cooling. I used in a 3 story bldg, I was controlling 1 reznor M.A unit, I had the t-stat on top floor and had the keypad locked out, I set mine up to take an average of all floors as the controlling set point.  sorry dont know part #   check with controlco in San Fran.  415-647-9445.
    RJ
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Honeywell visionpro+remote sensor

Use the present wiring to mount the remote sensor of a Honeywell visionpro, and wire in the main visionpro control near the boiler in some secured place. It will run the system off the sensor.

For a bit more money, tekmar makes a thermostat which can average 2 sensors, but if your system is well balanced, then a single sensor is probably enough.--NBC
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    tekmar 150

I think the simplest thing to do would be to put a tekmar 150 in the boiler room and use your existing t stat wire for the sensor. I would just hide the sensor behind the existing t-stat. Leave the inoperable t stat in place to give the renter a sense of control.You would then set the temp you desire in the mechanical room.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.