Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Pex Tubing

DrG
DrG Member Posts: 1
Background:

I am building a new house that is 6500 sq ft living space. We would like to do radiant heating on the first floor which is 3200 and bathroom on the second floor. The remainder of the house with hydronic coils. I spoke with the plumber he gave me quote that was reasonable. However, reading on I realized that pex tubing details were not specified.

I was wondering what is the best type of tubing to use? So far everyone has said to use Wisibro/Upnor? Is that what is recommended? Is Onxy the same thing? I have heard there is tubing that incase there is leak it will seal if self, is it true? If so what is the brand?

In addition, when I asked the plumber to price it with onyx he called the supply house who said the price is slightly high meaning

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Pex a

The pex-a made by uphoner/wirsbo is probably the most proven product out there. Be sure to use a tubing with an oxygen barrier, hepex is the uphoner brand.

The tubing is an important part of the system, I would also be asking about who is doing the heat loss calculation and design. Contrary to popular perception, heating systems are not a generic commodity. There or many seemingly small details that make the difference between a great system and one that performs poorly.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    I do not recommend

rubber be used in heating systems. no onix. We've seen degradation in some systems.

PEX, PAP, or PERT are all good choices. In most cases you want to be sure you're using something with an oxygen barrier. specific pipe selection depends on what your application is.

there are no self-sealing pipes out there.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.