Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica steam and return pipes

I have a 10 year old Utica Steam Boiler PEG150CIDE. The black, what appears to be cast iron, return pipes are springing leaks all through it's approximately 10 foot length. There are curves and couplers along the way. The pipe may be pretty old, as the house is 80 years old. What would cause this to all fail at once, and what is the most modern replacements for this pipe? I actually closed the valves off on some the radiators. could that have caused this problem?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Wet Return

If it is below the boilers normal water line, it is considered wet return, and is full of water all the time.It is common  to replace the wet return when the boiler is replaced, and obviously should have been done the last time yours was replaced.Below the water line can be replaced with copper.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Steam

Old pipes leak. It happens. Closing radiators shouldn't have caused it. My only first reaction, if there are a lot of leaks, is that something may have triggered it.

What kind of maintenance has been done? Do you have an automatic water feeder?
  • mikelutgen
    mikelutgen Member Posts: 2
    auto water feed

It has an automatic water feeder. PSE&G said it was probably the back pressure from closing off some radiators that blew out the old pipes.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited December 2012
    Pipes

That is...incorrect...inaccurate...umm....wrong.

Do you have pictures of the boiler and piping?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    two things

1. It may just have rotted out do to natural deterioration and age or

2. If the system has other leaks, bad vents or traps or piping that has been leaking over time and the system has been adding a lot of make up water that will rot out anything below the water line quickley.

After you get it fixed monitor the water consumption carefully. you don't want to loose the boiler next.

Ed
This discussion has been closed.