To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Electric Baseboard HeatThermostat

EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 1,112Member ✭✭✭
i am looking for an electric baseboard heat thermostat, programmable, either 7 day or 5/2 day. All the ones I have seen are 2 wire single pole. The existing stat is two pole and I beleive that these thermostats are supposed to have a positive off position. So does a two pole programmable with a positive off exist??

thanks for the help,

• SWEISWEI Posts: 5,186Member ✭✭✭✭
    TRIAC based stats

Typically wire into one leg of the power feeding a 240V baseboard strip.  The other leg is wired to the supply.  Since it is a series circuit, this gives the stat complete control.  Circuit protection is still on both poles.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 2,384Member ✭✭✭

I believe Honeywell / Aube t-stats break both poles. They also have a nice vacation mode that can be controlled remotely.

Swei is correct that many t-stats used are single pole and the turn off the heaters just fine. There are 2 pole models out there. I prefer them
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EmpireEmpire Posts: 2,306Member ✭✭✭

ALWAYS use 2 pole for 240 vac stat on electric base heat.  The reasoning behind this is if the element shorts out and breaks 1 of both legs, the shorted leg will continue to heat uncontrolled.on the other leg of the 240vac.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!