Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wood boiler safety

Big_g
Big_g Member Posts: 2
Can anyone answer the question.....when the power goes out my Greenwood Boiler continues to heat the water because of the ceramic thermal mass and then since there is no circulation the water/antifreeze boils . If I can catch it quickly then my generator is hooked up to pump the water and all is OK , however, if not then I have problems. Can a convection run away lane bank of finned radiators work to disperse enough heat?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    There's quite a bit of mass

in that refractory.  You'd have to ask Greenwood for some estimate of what it can store.

A tank of water can absorb more heat more quickly than any common radiator will.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    the industry standard

is a generously sized pipe, piped such that flow can exit the boiler without power (directly up from the boiler, gravity recirc), to a bank of fin tube convectors sized for 15% of the boiler's rating. it should be sloped down to assist the circulation.

I don't know if this works with the greenwood, per se, and you should check with them. checking their website I don't think they even do this style boiler anymore, do they? the frontier they sell now appears to be a different design.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Big_g
    Big_g Member Posts: 2
    greenwood

Thank you for your thoughtful input. Greenwood kind of  dropped off the map after I purchased the Hydronic boiler and most Tech support also dropped off. The service tech fellow tried but I figured Greenwood was having more than cash flow problems and that maybe that product was not researched enough before it was put on the market. I worked with different styles of hot water  heat in our school system and was able to collect 40ft. of 1 inch finned tubes from school radiators. Thought they might work for this application. Another answer to posted question suggested a water tank would disperse heat efficiently also. sounds good also.
  • Karl_Northwind
    Karl_Northwind Member Posts: 139
    good advice

The above are good advice, I'll also recommend posting solid fuel questions on Hearth.com's boiler room.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/the-boiler-room-wood-boilers-and-furnaces.13/

karl
This discussion has been closed.