To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Spud removal, did I go too far?
Using the helpful information from previous posts, I attempted to remove a spud plug (love that name!) from a 100 year old cast iron radiator. Yah, well, remove the plug with a wrench and 4 foot pipe didn't work. That plug was NOT going to budge.
I ended up using an angle grinder to cut the end of the plug off. After that, I used my sawzaw and a new blade to cut into the grooves of the spud nut. I made the mistake of going too fast with my second metal blade, which resulted in cuts into the threads (photos attached).
I pressure-tested the radiator before this work, but now I'm concerned that I'll encounter leaks once the new nut is installed. I've read on other forum threads that experienced plumbers have seen the following methods work:
- Pipe dope plus teflon tape
- JB Weld
I'm wondering what methods worked best and which would be best based on the given situation I find myself in.
Many thanks to all you plumber gods out there!
** I should add the reason WHY I removed the plug. I have a gravity system and the plumbing on the previous radiator was on the same side (intake + return). The replacement radiator had the plumbing on either end.
0 · ·