Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clean the "flue" inside the heater?

I have a 12 year old Bock 32E with a more than 25 year old Bock M-SR burner. The burner has been serviced annually by the fuel oil company. I've replaced the anodes twice, and drain off sediment monthly.

When the tech does my steam boiler, he removes plates and cleans the inside of it. However, no one has ever removed the flue from the water heater, run a brush down it, and vacuumed out the soot.

Does anyone actually do that? Is it even physically possible with the metal spikes in there? Should it be brushed  to prevent "no hot water" and maybe even a puff back?

Thanks. I'm a fan of preventative maintenance and as-efficient-as-possible operation.
One pipe steam, Weil-McLain 380 , pipes mostly insulated, 32 radiators!

Bock 32E water heater, Bock M-SR burner with .75 80A nozzle.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    mirror

Hello:  Physically brushing or otherwise cleaning a turboflue sounds challenging with all the welded in projections.  How about getting an  inspection mirror and having a look to see if there is any real buildup of stuff in the flue?  If it's clean, you don't need to worry about it.  If it's filthy; time for the haz-mat suite and power washer!

Yours,  Larry
  • SchenleySeven
    SchenleySeven Member Posts: 27
    I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look

Inspection mirror & bright light good next step. I'll pull the burner and look.

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    yes it is

cleanable, and should be. There is a baffle in the center, newer Bocks, that can be removed to clean easier. Those are the "Turbo-Flue" models
  • SchenleySeven
    SchenleySeven Member Posts: 27
    All sooted up

Technician from fuel company used vacuum with attachment to fit snug in inspection port and long handled brush to clean it out. Took 20-25 minutes.

It is not done as part of the annual tune up, and I need to find out why.

This discussion has been closed.